Saturday, October 14, 2017

How Liberals Discuss Politics



I recently had a pleasant discussion with a friend, whom I’ll call Tim. I mentioned to him that I’d written a newspaper column stating that the 2008 Credit Crisis had been caused by wretched federal government policies. The discussion immediately became unpleasant (although we remain friends).

In my observation, liberals, like Tim, believe that most social and economic problems should be solved by government laws and regulations. Libertarians, like me, believe that government should be sharply limited.

After our conversation, I wrote Tim that, in my experience, liberals usually respond to libertarian views in the following ways:

They interrupt often, as did you. Liberals seem to want to prevent people with opposing views from talking.

Liberals quickly turn political discussion into an argument. The rise in volume and intensity of your voice during our conversation had this effect.

They mischaracterize opposing statements. After I said that the federal government caused the 2008 Credit Crisis, you responded, “What? You don’t want any government?” There’s a big difference between faulty government policies and no government at all.

They try to change the subject. Your above response, “What? You don’t want any government?” was not only a mischaracterization, it also moved the discussion away from the 2008 Credit Crisis. Later in our conversation, I said that liberals favor the use of force. You interrupted to say, “So do conservatives.” This changed the subject from the issue of force.

Liberals promise that government will solve economic and social problems and help the poor. But they fail to notice that in the long run, big government has neither solved the problems nor prevented the gap between rich and poor from widening. The promises and good intentions make liberals feel like good people. Their self-image is closely tied to their good intentions.

Liberals are prone to blame social and economic problems on the character, bad intentions, and greed of business people. I haven’t heard them give other reasons in support of their views. I doubt they have other reasons.

American liberalism hasn’t reached an extreme yet, but it may still do so. In the long run, solving social and economic problems by laws and regulations makes the problems worse. Liberals are then inclined to pile on more government, causing yet more problems. The downhill slide could eventually result in conditions like those of Venezuela.

I challenge you, Tim, to explain why the following statements of mine may be wrong:

--When government is big, the rich gain wealth faster than the poor, because the rich induce government to help them.

--When government is small, the poor gain wealth faster than the rich, because the poor are willing to work harder.

--The actual, long-term results of big-government policies are opposite to the intended results.

How should our conversation have proceeded? After I said that the federal government caused the 2008 credit crisis, you might have responded, “Why do you say that?” Then, it would have been appropriate to just listen. If I proved to be uninformed, you could gently move the conversation away from politics. But if I proved to be informed, wouldn’t it be appropriate to listen and possibly learn?

Let’s turn the table: I would genuinely like to learn why you believe that big government in the long run causes more good than harm. If you think my statements above are wrong, I’d love to know why. After you’ve gathered your thoughts, let’s get together again. Or you could send your views in writing. If you can justify liberalism to me, I would be very grateful.  

Published in the Concord Monitor 5/27/17.